Daniel Dietrich, Prof. Dr.
- Since 1996: Chair Human and Environmental Toxicology, University of Konstanz
- Since 2004: Professor Max-Planck Institute of Ornithology
Previous research experience
- 01/1996 – 12/2000: Adjunct Professor of Toxicology, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, USA
- 05/1995 – 12/1995: Visiting Associate Professor at the University of Pittsburgh, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Toxicology, Graduate School of Public Health, Pittsburgh, USA.
- 08/1991 – 04/1995: Primary investigator and head of the ecotoxicology group. Institute of Toxicology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) of Zurich & University of Zurich, Schwerzenbach, Switzerland.
- 11/1989 – 07/1991: Post-doctoral fellow. The University of North Carolina, Department of Pathology, Program of Molecular Carcinogenesis and Mutagenesis, Prof J.A. Swenberg, Chapel Hill, NC, USA.
- 04/1989 – 11/1989: Post-doctoral fellow. Glaxo Research Laboratories, J.A. Swenberg, Head Drug Safety Evaluation, Glaxo Inc. Research Triangle Park, NC, USA.
- 10/1988 – 03/1989: Research associate at the Institute of Toxicology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Since 09/2018:
- Dean of Studies Faculty of Biology, University of Konstanz
- Head Board of Examinations, Faculty of Biology
- Voting member: Section Mathematics and Natural Sciences Advisory Board, Faculty of Biology Advisory Board
- Since 2016: Vice-Chair Continuing Education Program, Director & Coordinator SafeSciMET
- Since 2008: Rector appointed representative: International Relationships (Erasmus, Researcher Mobility, Cooperation with other Universities incl. joint degrees), Investment Technology and Safety, Animal Research Facility
- 08/ 2005 - 11/ 2006: Adjunct judge, recourse commission, Swiss high court of administration/court of mediation and appellation, Bern, Switzerland
- Since 01/ 2002: Consultant toxicologist for SwissMedic (Registration Authority for Pharmaceuticals in Switzerland)
- Since 2001: Fellow of the Academy of Toxicological Sciences (FATS)
- Since 1996: German Board of Toxicologists (GSPT)
- Since 1988: Swiss Board of Toxicologists (SSPT)
- Since 1988: EUROTOX Registered Toxicologist
- Altaner, S., Jaeger, S., Fotler, R., Zemskov, I., Wittmann, V., Schreiber, F., and Dietrich, D.R. (2019): Machine learning prediction of cyanobacterial toxin (microcystin) toxicodynamics in humans. ALTEX, doi: 10.14573/altex.1904031
- Secker, P.F., Beneke, S., Schlichenmaier, N., Delp, J., Gutbier, S., Leist, M., and Dietrich, D.R. (2018): Canagliflozin mediated dual inhibition of mitochondrial glutamate dehydrogenase and complex I: an off-target adverse effect. Cell Death and Disease, 9(2):226-238, doi: 10.1038/s41419-018-0273-y
- Secker, P.F., Luks, L., Schlichenmaier, N., and Dietrich, D.R. (2018): RPTEC/TERT1 cells form highly differentiated tubules when cultured in a 3D matrix. ALTEX, 35(2):223-234. doi: 10.14573/altex.1710181.
- Kleinteich, J., Hildebrand, F., Bahram, M., Voigt, A.Y., Wood, S.A., Jungblut, A.D., Küpper, F.C., Quesada, A., Camacho, A., Pearce, D.A., Convey, P., Vincent, W.F., Zarfl, C., Bork, P., Dietrich, D.R. (2017): Pole-to-pole connections: Similarities between Arctic and Antarctic microbiomes and their vulnerability to environmental change. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, doi: 10.3389/fevo.2017.00137
- Bond, G.G. and Dietrich D.R. (2017): Human Cost Burden of Exposure to Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals - A Critical Review. Arch. Toxicol., 91(8), 2745-2762. doi: 10.1007/s00204-017-1985-y
- Luks, L., Maier, M. Y., Sacchi, S., Pollegioni, L., and Dietrich, D. R. (2017): Understanding renal nuclear protein accumulation: an in vitro approach to explain an in vivo phenomenon. Arch. Toxicol., doi: 10.1007/s00204-017-1970-5.
- Dietrich, D.R., Dekant, W., Greim, H., Heslop-Harrison, P., Berry, C. Sir, Boobis, A., Hengstler, J.G., and Sharpe, R. (2016): Don’t mar legislation with pseudoscience. Nature, 535, 355.
- Azarkh, M., Singh, V., Okle, O., Seemann, I., Dietrich, D.R., Hartig, J.S., and Drescher, M. (2013): Site directed spin labeling of nucleotides and the use of in-cell DEER: An EPR method for determination of long-range distances. Nature Protocols, 8(1):131-47.
- Kleinteich, J., Wood, S.A., Kuepper, F.C., Camacho, A., Quesada, A., Frickey, T., and Dietrich, D.R. (2012): Temperature related changes in polar cyanobacterial mat diversity and toxin production. Nature Climate Change, 2(3):356–360
- Höger, S., Dietrich, D.R., and Hitzfeld B.C. (2002) Effect of ozonation in drinking water treatment on the removal of cyanobacterial toxins. Env. Health Persp, 110(11):1127-1132.